Sending transcripts

Transcript guidelines

All transfer applicants, U.S. and international, are required to submit official college/university transcripts. Unofficial scanned copies of high school transcripts should be uploaded with your online application.

Additional transcript guidelines:

  • A transcript is official if it is in a sealed envelope and if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution.
  • Transcripts sent electronically via Parchment and Credential Solutions (eScriptSafe) are considered official.
  • Records from schools outside the U.S. must be in English or in the native language, accompanied by English translations.
  • The Office of Admissions will keep any transcripts or other credentials it receives for one calendar year.
  • Failure to disclose and submit transcripts from all colleges attended, even if no credit was earned, may result in denial of admission or dismissal from the UW.

High school transcripts

One unofficial transcript from the last high school attended must be uploaded with the online application. The Office of Admissions uses the high school record to confirm completion of College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs) and to learn more about an applicant’s educational background. Completion of an academic associate degree alone does not imply that the CADRs have been met.

  • For U.S. students, a high school transcript should be a final transcript, showing all coursework completed, beginning with grade 9 and continuing through grade 12 or the highest grade completed.
  • For international students, the high school transcript should include grades 10, 11 and 12 or the equivalent years in your country.
  • Preferably, mathematics and foreign language courses completed in the eighth grade should be recorded on the high school transcript, but this is not required.

Applicants are sometimes concerned that poor high school grades will adversely affect their chances of admission.

  • If you have fewer than 40 transferable credits, your high school record will play an important part in the admission review.
  • If you have 40 or more transferable credits, your college coursework assumes far more importance in the admission review.

College/university transcripts

Request one official transcript from each collegiate institution you have ever attended, regardless of whether you received college credit from that institution. Request transcripts showing coursework through the term most recently completed before the application deadline. It is your responsibility to contact each institution to request that transcripts be sent to the Office of Admissions by the appropriate deadline.

  • Washington state community college students should have transcripts sent electronically. Transcripts can also be sent through Parchment or Credential Solutions (eScripSafe). All other transcripts should be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
  • If you have UW coursework, including from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma, you do not need to submit official UW transcripts. However, you are required to submit official transcripts from all other colleges and universities you have attended. We will not request the transfer documents originally sent to other UW offices.

Failure to disclose and submit transcripts from all colleges attended, even if no credit was earned, may result in denial of admission or dismissal from the UW.

Mailing Address

Express Mail:

University of Washington Mailing Services
3900 7th Ave NE
Office of Admissions, Box 355852
Seattle, WA 98195-5852

Regular Mail:

University of Washington
Office of Admissions
Box 355852
Seattle, WA 98195-5852