Our Mission

The University of Washington seeks students who can benefit from its wealth of academic and cultural opportunities and who can contribute to its dynamic energy and rich diversity of experiences. The UW desires to admit students who display qualities that predict academic success and enhance the intellectual and cultural vitality of the university community. The UW considers applicants through a holistic assessment of an applicant’s academic performance and personal qualities and achievements.

Veterans and military personnel bring unique qualities to the UW, and we welcome their interest. The Office of Admissions provides these guidelines to help veterans and military personnel become eligible for admission consideration.

How Do I Enroll at The University of Washington?

Admission to the UW is competitive. To enroll at the UW, prospective students must:

  • Apply for admission by the appropriate application deadline,
  • Satisfy minimum College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADR),
  • Be competitive through holistic review, and
  • Receive and accept an offer of admission.

Quick Answers for Veterans and Military Personnel

I have some bad grades. Can I just start over?

Unfortunately, your academic record cannot be erased.

  • Bad news: In calculating the Transfer GPA, the Office of Admissions uses all transferable academic courses from all regionally accredited colleges a student has attended, in which the student has received grades between 0.0 and 4.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. Credits attempted but not successfully completed -- in English, those for which a grade of “F” was earned -- are included in the GPA calculation. And more to the point: Applicants sign a statement when they apply, verifying that all information is correct. "I acknowledge that failure to disclose complete and accurate information, or failure to submit all required application materials...may result in the denial of admission or subsequent dismissal from the University of Washington." So we're clear on that.
  • Good news: One bad grade, or even a bad start early in one's academic career, need not prevent admission as a transfer student. An applicant who shows -- through the personal statement and transcripts improved grades after an extended absence from college or evidence of a new maturity in approaching college work -- can make it successfully through the admission review. If "older but wiser" sounds like your story, contact Admissions for counseling.

What is the application deadline?

The UW accepts applications for summer, autumn, and winter quarters, and each quarter has a different deadline.

What is the minimum College Academic Distribution Requirement (CADR)?

All freshman and transfer applicants are required to meet minimum academic subjects requirements for admission, as set by the Washington State Higher Education Coordinating (HEC) Board and the faculty of the University of Washington. These requirements are explained in detail elsewhere on the Web.

Will my status as a veteran increase my chances for admission?

Admission consideration for veterans and other persons eligible to receive VA education benefits is the same as those for other students. However, military service is valuable community service and work experience, both of which are considered in holistic review.

Does the UW award academic credit for Armed Forces Training Schools (AFTS)?

Military courses with an assigned Military Course ID will be considered for academic credit.

Can military personnel receive an early admission decision?

The UW is generally unable to make early decisions, except for applicants in officer commissioning programs.

Can I have my college and military transcripts evaluated before I apply?

Because of the amount of staff time involved, the UW evaluates all transcripts after an applicant is admitted and has indicted an intention to enroll at the UW.

Does the UW award credit for CLEP exams?

No. The UW does not award credit for CLEP exams.

If I satisfy the College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADR), will I be admitted?

Satisfaction of the CADRs alone is not enough to be admitted to the UW. Applicants who have satisfied the minimum CADR are further considered through the freshman or transfer holistic reviews.

Does the UW award academic credit for my military experience?

The UW does not award academic credit for MOS (Military Occupational Specialties) or life experience.

Can military personnel apply for admission after the deadline?

Usually not. If you missed an application deadline due to extenuating circumstances, contact Admissions.