Office of Admissions

Homeschool policies

Homeschooled students bring unique qualities to our campus, and we welcome your interest in the UW. The Office of Admissions provides these guidelines to help homeschooled applicants become eligible for admission consideration.

Applicants are assessed in the context of the UW’s holistic review for freshman and transfer students.

College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs)

All freshman and transfer applicants are required to meet minimum academic distribution requirements as set by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) and the faculty of the University of Washington.

Learn more about CADRs

Test Scores

Freshman applicants

Scores from SAT or ACT are required and will also serve to validate English and mathematics CADRs.

Transfer applicants.

SAT or ACT scores are required if English and math CADRs have not been met through college coursework.

How to submit scores from SAT or ACT


Freshman applicants

Do not send high school or college transcripts until you receive a request from the Office of Admissions. The application asks you to provide a detailed account of your academic coursework, and that’s all we need to review your application.

Applicants who are admitted and who confirm their intention to enroll at the UW will be required to send a final high school transcript. At that time, the admissions staff will verify that all admission requirements have been satisfied, and the offer of admission will be withdrawn if important discrepancies are discovered.

Final college transcripts are also required for applicants who attended college.

Transfer applicants

Official homeschool transcripts must be submitted by the application deadline. Official transcripts are also required for any coursework completed at other high schools or regionally accredited colleges.

Useful Links

  • Transfer Credit Policies. In general, the UW awards credit for academic, college-level coursework completed through regionally accredited colleges.

  • Not sure whether you are a freshman or transfer applicant?  Check out our guidelines.

  • Information about dual-credit programs