Dual-credit programs

We welcome and value students who have opted to begin their college learning while still in high school.

The Running Start Program allows academically qualified 11th- and 12th-graders the opportunity to enroll in certain Washington colleges for college credit. College in the high school, which may go under names such as dual enrollment or dual credit, allows high school students to take college courses at their local high school and receive college credit. Other well-known dual enrollment programs include Seattle’s Matteo Ricci College and Hawaii’s Running Start program.


Dual-enrollment applicants are evaluated for admission on the same basis as other freshman applicants: academic preparation and performance; and personal achievement and characteristics.

Application Procedures

  • If you are applying for summer or autumn quarter after you graduate from high school, use the freshman application.
  • Freshman Timelines & Deadlines: Apply by the freshman deadline of December 1, regardless of the number of college credits you have taken or will have taken. All materials to complete the application file must be submitted or postmarked by the deadline.
  • If you are starting college after leaving high school, apply as a transfer student.


You may be considered for freshman scholarships as long as you do not enroll in another degree-seeking program after leaving high school and before enrolling at the UW. December 1 is the deadline for freshman admission.

Recommendations for Academic Planning

We encourage dual-enrollment applicants—particularly those with a significant number of college credits—to begin their academic planning as early as possible to ensure that they make the most of their college credit.

  • Keep in mind that you have established a college record. Grades you earn now could affect admission to the UW and to your intended major.
  • Students admitted through a freshmen application are expected to declare a major by the time they have completed five academic quarters (not including summer quarters) and earned 105 credits. Thus, no matter how many credits you enter with — even if your credit total exceeds 105 credits — you will have five quarters at the UW before you need to declare a major, You may declare a major sooner if you are ready.

Two online tools will help you look ahead toward UW requirements—for your intended major and for graduation—while still completing coursework at the college you are now attending:

  • For transferable courses at Washington State community colleges and transfer credit policies, get to know the Equivalency Guide.
  • Consult the Academic Planning Worksheets, to help you prepare for your intended major and UW graduation requirements.

Transfer Credit Policy

The UW will grant full transfer credit for Running Start courses if they are college level and recorded on a college transcript. All UW restrictions on transfer credit apply.