Quick Answers | Veterans

Quick Answers Home » Veterans

(example: test scores)


I have some bad grades. Can I just start over?

Unfortunately, your academic record cannot be erased.

  • Bad news: In calculating the Transfer GPA, the Office of Admissions uses all transferable academic courses from all regionally accredited colleges a student has attended, in which the student has received grades between 0.0 and 4.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. Credits attempted but not successfully completed -- in English, those for which a grade of “F” was earned -- are included in the GPA calculation. And more to the point: Applicants sign a statement when they apply, verifying that all information is correct. "I acknowledge that failure to disclose complete and accurate information, or failure to submit all required application materials...may result in the denial of admission or subsequent dismissal from the University of Washington." So we're clear on that.
  • Good news: One bad grade, or even a bad start early in one's academic career, need not prevent admission as a transfer student. An applicant who shows -- through the personal statement and transcripts improved grades after an extended absence from college or evidence of a new maturity in approaching college work -- can make it successfully through the admission review. If "older but wiser" sounds like your story, contact Admissions for counseling.