Send Transcripts

Transcript Guidelines

A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Office of Admissions or sealed in a school or college envelope and mailed or delivered to Admissions by you. If you open the envelope, the transcript is no longer official.

  • Records from schools abroad must be originals, official, and in the native language, accompanied by English translations. If you attended school outside the U.S., contact Admissions to find out what credentials you need to submit to complete your application file.
  • The Office of Admissions will keep for one calendar year any transcripts or other credentials it receives.

High School Transcript

This document is required of all transfer applicants. Applicants are responsible for contacting the last high school attended to request a transcript. In most cases, it’s as simple as writing a letter to the high school and including all pertinent information (e.g., name changes, dates of attendance, etc.), and the name and address where the transcript should be sent.

  • A high school transcript should be a final transcript, showing all coursework completed, beginning with grade 9 and continuing through grade 12 or the highest grade completed.
  • Preferably, mathematics and foreign language courses completed in the eighth grade should be recorded on the high school transcript, but this is not required.

We use the high school record to check for the college academic distribution requirements and to learn more about an applicant’s educational background. Completion of an academic associate degree alone does not imply that the college academic distribution requirements have been met.

For those applicants who have completed fewer than 40 transferable credits, the high school grades play an important part in the admission review. Applicants are reviewed according to the comprehensive criteria. In addition, the high school record is considered, and applicants are required to submit test scores.

College Transcript(s)

It is your responsibility to contact each institution to request that transcripts be sent to Admissions by the appropriate closing date.

  • Request one official transcript from each collegiate institution you have ever attended regardless of whether you received college credit from that institution.
  • Failure to disclose and submit transcripts from all colleges attended, even if no credit was earned, may result in denial of admission or dismissal from the University.
  • You must send transcripts showing coursework through the most recently completed quarter or semester.
  • Applicants who have UW coursework, including from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma, do not need to submit official UW transcripts. However, they are required to submit official transcripts from all other colleges and universities they have attended. We will not request the transfer of documents originally sent to other UW offices.

Mailing Address

University of Washington
Office of Admissions
1410 NE Campus Parkway
Box 355852
Seattle, WA 98195-5852